Saturday, 11 May 2013

30s Design - Martha Van Coppenolle


It seems that every week I discover another female designer of the 1930s that I have never heard about - which is amazing considering I studied art history and design at both college (interior design) and university  (architecture). The female part of collaborations are for some reason often in the background.  This week another female designer, the Belgian-Flemish artist and furniture designer, Martha Van Coppenolle (1912-2004).

In 1930 Martha won the Gold Medal for her design for the  Banner for the City of Antwerp,for the '1930 International World Exposition.'

Martha in 1930

The Winning Banner Design

 During the 1930s she also collaborated with another Belgian artist and designer, Marcel-Louis Baugniet  (1896-1995), to produce this sofa.

1930s sofa bed


Made of nickel-plated tubular steel, the reclining back has two adjustable positions, and falls to create a bed
35½ in. (90.5 cm.) high; 78 in. (198 cm.) wide.  So modern at  the time, and so copied now.  She also  designed and made this Art deco rug. Wouldn't it look wonderful in front of the sofa?!

1930's Art-Deco rug, designed and made by, Martha Van Coppenolle
Wouldn't it be wonderful if she featured in the new Hercule Poirot series?! One can hope,

Deb xx

4 comments:

  1. Deb, I'm loving these Art Deco designs by Martha Van Coppenolle! Suddenly I feel like watching a 1930s movie, or at least an episode of POIROT - and I assure you, I mean that as a compliment! :-D Thanks for sharing these beautiful designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...that's one reason I love Poirot so much - he has the best apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deb, for sharing these wonderful works created by my mother 'Martha Van Coppenolle', with the world of Art Deco connoisseurs out there !
    You're on my Facebook NOW !
    Prof. Antony De Meester

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Deb, for sharing these wonderful works created by my mother 'Martha Van Coppenolle', with the world of Art Deco connoisseurs out there !
    Prof. Antony De Meester --- Antwerp/Belgium

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.