Tuesday 6 August 2013

Mid-Century Style Art by Matte Stephens

I have been searching for some great mid-century style art for my dining room, and came across this illustration of Central Park.

A view of Central Park. By Matte Stephens.
A view of Central Park. By Matte Stephens.
It's just what I am looking for, both style and colour wise.  It's also of somewhere I have been and have fond memories of.  I just love it!

The artist is Matte Stephens, who is based in Peterborough, New Hampshire, one of those small, picturesque American Towns popular with tourists, and home coincidentally of the Pulitzer prize producing MacDowell Art Colony. 

Matte has exhibited his work widely in the US, and counts among his customers Tiffany & Co., American Express, IBM and more importantly Herman Miller.  As well as being self taught and super talented, he also seems a really nice guy, who was happy for me show you his work - I did ask just to be sure!

Matte says that he loves modern design and is inspired by mid-century designers Charles and Ray Eames, Alexander Girard (textile designer), George Nelson, Irving Harper (think marshmallow sofa) and also artists like Ben Shahn and Paul Klee.  I love Klee's work, but hadn't heard of Ben Shahn (thanks for educating me Matte!)

Much of Matte's work features city's such as new York and Chicago, but also overseas cities such as Paris, Sydney and Melbourne.  I was in Sydney recently, and this painting captures the best bits of the city.

Sydney. Matte Stephens.
Sydney. Matte Stephens.

Some of Matte's other work is just plain funny.

Capturing the bear in his natural habitat.  Matte Stephens
Capturing the bear in his natural habitat.  Matte Stephens.
With their witty titles they're like the readers I had in grade school, only much cooler.  In fact matte has actually illustrated a couple of books for early readers.

Mr Flux children's book illustrated by Matte Stephens
Mr Flux, via
Foolish Fox children's book illustrated by Matte Stephens
The Foolish Fox, via
As well as foxes, Matte also obviously loves cats.

Cat Bird. 8.5 x 11 print by Matte Stephens.
Cat Bird. By Matte Stephens.
And has a great sense of adventure.

I shot an arrow into the air, they fell to earth in Berkeley Square. Matte Stephens.
I shot an arrow into the air, they fell to earth in Berkeley Square. Matte Stephens.
The colors he uses are more muted than some mid-century style work around, which I quite like.  You can find him on Etsy, which is where I found these images.  They are quite affordable (from $35), and originals and various size prints are available.  I think I need quite a few.  Don't you?

Deb xx

1 comment:

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.