Thursday 19 July 2012

July 1932 Better Homes & Gardens

better homes 1932 cover
1932

A step further back in time today. I recently bought this magazine on Etsy – Better Homes & Gardens July 1932.
Here are some of my favorite ads:

better homes soap ad
A soap ad with a story for the kids
 

better homes radio ad
I want one.
Better Homes was founded in 1922 by Edwin Meredith, who had previously been the United States Secretary of Agriculture under Woodrow Wilson.  It was originally launched under the name Fruit, Garden and Home and changed to Better homes and Garden in 1924.  It is still published twelve times a years by the the Meredith Corporation, and is the fourth largest selling magazine in the US.

In a 1938 issue of Better Homes and Garden an article called "Toss That Salad" was featured. It introduced tossed green salads to American families. and the recipe was a variation on a classic French Vinaigrette Salad.  What a revelation! You can read more about the history of the magazine here. 

Deb xx











No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.