Friday 16 March 2012

16 March 1942–St Patricks Day & USS Yorktown

 

I  hope you are having a lovely St Patrick’s Day.  I thought I’d share some of my favourite vintage 40s items from Etsy for St Patricks Day:

RESERVED FOR BETH   Vintage 40s Leprechaun Brooch Lucky the Leprechaun Green Plastic Pin  Pillbox Hat in Green Felt with Felt Bows.    vintage rare 1940s A Ladies Must Have forest green heels and bag matching setVintage 30s 40s Luck of the Irish Green Celluloid St. Patricks Day Good Luck Charm Bow Pin Brooch 

and here’s a vintage St. Patrick’s Day dinner menu from “The New American Cookbook” from 1942 :

Menu

Grapefruit halves with mint
Irish stew
Clover leaf rolls (love this idea!)
Cottage cheese in green pepper rings
Homemade Pistachio ice cream (yum!)
Cake
Coffee

You can find the recipes here.

Todays news follows on from yesterdays scary post about the Japanese invading Australia.  Apparently between 16 March and 31 April 1942, the USS Yorktown was the only American carrier standing between the advancing Japanese and Australia.

Artist Mark Churms captured Yorktown, in this stunning painting:

boat

A big thank you to the entire crew!

I’m off to find a glass of Guinness,

Cheers

Deb xx

1 comment:

  1. I love that hat is gorgeous and the shoes are so cute! The little leprechaun is so sweet too! I hope you managed to find some! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.