Wednesday 25 April 2012

24 April 1942–Heros, nostalgia, music and hats

 

It’s Anzac Day tomorrow.  With the hype about that and this blog I have been doing for four months now, I have heros on the mind.  There were so many, in so many wars, not just WWI and WWII.  It makes me sad when I look at young  guys overtaking me on the drive home in their hotted up utes  - I can’t help but comparing.  So many things have changed in seventy years, and although I know there are still heros around today, and not just fighting men and and women, and I don’t really want to go back to 1942, there are some things I would love to see in 2012.

Manners, gentlemen,taking turns, consideration, less sex in advertising, music with lyrics you can understand, and men in hats , just to name a few.  Speaking of hats……..

Maybe this is why I am beginning to like the western style of riding and the whole western scene.  Hats. Men who are men (not the ones with hotted up utes or lights for pig-shooting). And music with good lyrics.  Music that tells a story or makes you laugh or even cry.  I still love jazz and swing, but I am starting to listen to country radio.  This is a big change for me, as I have been a devoted classical fm listener (yes, Australia has a station dedicated to classical music) for years.

Here is photo taken in 1942 by Russell Lee.  My idea of western riding. No hype, no fancy clothes, no crowds, just man and beast and freedom. Ahhh….

man, horse and dog, 1942 by Russelll Lee

Deb xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.