Thursday 30 August 2012

Fancy a Vintage Phone?

I know I am meant to be saving and paring down my collections, but when I saw this on etsy recently I just had to have it!




Isn't it gorgeous?! It an ivory Bakelite 300 series telephone from 1955. We really needed a new phone, so why not a vintage one?  My dad used to work for PMG (the postmaster general before it became separated in the post office and telecom) and tells me he threw out and replaced hundreds of these n the 50s.  Sigh...

The kids have taken to answering the phone in a British butler voice with "Good Afternoon, Clark residence, how may I help you", which is quite amusing.

Joseph at Retro Rotary Telephones AUSTRALIA restores and sells phones in his Etsy Store, which is where I got mine ($220) and you can check out here.  If you want something with a vintage feel that is a bit more high tech, what about these:



The Portable Rotary Phone is an original rotary phone that has been modified to be a cell phone, by inserting your sim card.  It has a functional rotary dial, rings the original, loud metallic bells when a call is received, and even has a dial tone!  Available at Sparkfun for about $200.

The iRetrofone looks like an old Rotary Phone, but is a fully-functional, stationary iPhone dock with working handset and complete compatibility with a USB cable.  It is made of heavy-duty urethane resin and is designed to be compatible with all iPhone's (iPhone 3G, 3GS & iPhone 4G& 4S). Around $200 at iRetrophone.

iRetrofone -  iPhone phone docks

Cheers

Deb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.