Monday 10 June 2013

Sydney and David Jones 175 years anniversay

I have just got back from a weekend in Sydney. What a blast!  My feet and legs don't know what's hit them - walking all day up and down hills is a little unusual for me - but it was worth it.  I hadn't been to Sydney in over 20 years, but I well definitely be going back sooner than that next time!

One of the highlights was the 175th birthday exhibit at David Jones, one of the world's oldest department stores.  There were fashions from every era, including a 1930s wedding dress, original advertising posters, original sales ledgers, display dresses made of paper and even the cutlery that was used for the Queen's dinner visit in 1954.  Here's a little glimpse.

Paper art dresses at David Jones 175th birthday 1920s flapper dress and 1930s wedding dress at David Jones 175th birthday

Dresses from the 1950s, 60s and 70s at David Jones 175th birthday 

Dior 80s does 50s dress at David Jones 175th birthday display at David Jones 175th birthday

1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s advertising posters at David Jones 175th birthday

Cafe on the 7th floor with David Jones light globe sign, 175th birthday display

When I went to David Jones in Sydney as a seventeen year old many years ago, I had been living in Melbourne and been to David Jones there many times.  The Sydney store was different though - grander somehow.  The main thing I remembered was the pianist as you walked in the front door - a memory that has stayed with me always.  And guess what - he's still there! OK, probably not the same guy, but a classical piano player none the less.

Piano player at David Jones in Sydney

The 175th exhibition finishes soon, but if you get to Sydney, don't forget to visit David Jones!

Deb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.