Thursday 17 April 2014

Vintage Recipes - A Mid-Century Easter Menu

It's been a busy time at our place (see my instagram tab for photos) - twins birthdays, a trip to Townsville to pick up our eldest daughter from Uni, school holidays, settling in to our new office, concerts and of course then we all got colds! I am really looking forward to a few days off to rest and recuperate.

But now it's Easter, so there is food to prepare, eggs to decorate and a bunny to plan with - I must tell him to be careful of the newly planted lawn when he hides the eggs! Firstly to the food, as the shops will be shut tomorrow. We try and do fish on Good Friday, Easter Buns on Saturday and roast pork for Sunday Lunch - after the Easter Egg Hunt.

I am planning on Tuna Mornay for Friday, as my girls are not fond of seafood but will eat anything with cheese in it - you can find the recipe on my tumblr blog, it's from a Kraft Cheese Ad.

And then I found this menu from 1950 looks quite simple, and well suited to our Queensland lifestyle!


I love to make our Easter buns, with the children's help of course - although this usually consists of adding chocolate chips to the mixture and picking out the sultanas! Last year I almost managed neat crosses with a runny white flour/sugar/water mix piped on, although the girls would really like white chocolate crosses. Here's a recipe for buns, form 1952.


Tomorrow will also see egg blowing for decorated eggs - we are going to try glitter this year.  Wish me luck!

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.