Sunday 14 July 2013

A Night at The Burleqsue

Some more blog changes today. Hopefully it's now a bit more user friendly, and you can now leave comments! Anyway, on to today's post....

1950s burlesque ladies
via
I mentioned yesterday that I went to a Burlesque night.  Right here in Mackay, as part of our Festival of the Arts.
The Mackay Festival of Arts 2013 Program
Mackay Festival of Arts 2013
And all I can say is, WOW.

I had never been to see burlesque before, and it was a bit of an eye-opener (when I could stop my hands covering them!)  If you haven't been to one either, let's just say it's not quite like the movie. . This one was definitely R rated, and featured Imogen Kelly, the World's Reigning Queen of Burlesque 2012, who won the title at The Burlesque Hall of Fame weekend in Las Vegas.

Her acts included 'Metamorph', in which she transformed from a sequin clad inch-worm into a butterfly, basically doing a classic fan dance with her wings, and the very raunchy 'Let them eat cake.' You can read more about Imogen, and see some photos, at her website.  At 41, she is quite inspirational, and has also had to come face to face with breast cancer, which you  can read more about here.

 Imogen Kelly in action
 Imogen Kelly in action
The other stand-out performer was 'That Pole Guy', Travis Scott, Mr Boylesque Queensland for 2013 and a pole-fitness winner as well.  He was amazing - obviously trained in ballet and super-fit. You can read more about  him here.

The night was a dress-up event for the audience, and wow, were there some amazing outfits.  One girl had a peacock themed corset outfit, complete with tail, and there were corsets and fish-net stockings everywhere.  Here are some of my friends in their finery.


I had about 15 minutes to get ready, and was a bit more conservative in all black, with a corset over a black nightdress.  My daughter quickly did my hair for me, and I was quite happy with the result.  (Ignore the messy room!).


There was also a 'neo-burlesque' act which was quite confrontational, a retro 50s house-wife inspired act, and a wonderful 'Russian' host who continued to lose clothes throughout the show. All in all we all had a great night, even my husband.

Have you ever been to a burlesque show?

More vintage burlesque images on tumblr.

Deb xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.