Friday 30 August 2013

Mid-Century Recipe 2 - Braised Oxtail

I have made this dish twice now - the family demanded a repeat performance.  There is not much meat on an oxtail, but the flavor is delicious, and if your family enjoy chewing on bones, like mine do, they will love it. It's also cheap - about $5 per oxtail.  This quantity serves four - I double it for our family.
Ingredients for braised oxtail
What you need






Some chopped parsley for colour would look nice if you have it. And don't worry if you don't have little onions, just add another large one sliced.

It takes about 15-20 minutes to put together and two to three hours to simmer.  You can transfer it to the oven, just keep it on low.  I put it in the oven last night at about 4.30, before a school concert, and when we returned (starving) at 7, it was ready to eat.

Yummy!

I had never heard of oxtail until I had dinner at my mother-in laws one night.  A girl of the 50s, her oxtail soup was a specialty of hers.  This recipe is similar - just add a bottle of red wine to the sauce if you want soup.

♥ Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.