Sunday 22 December 2013

A sewing room and a retro dress

This week I have finally sewn something!

First I rearranged my spare room so I can sew in it. I found a little desk at the op shop for $10 (it's missing a drawer but I don't mind) which is perfect to sew at. And right in front of the window for fresh air and a view, and the air-con for when it's crazy hot.



I use the dining table to cut out, but at least I have somewhere to leave work in progress (and to collapse and read a book if I need too). While I was at the op shop I found a remnant of fabric from the 1960s (it still had the original price tag on it in shillings) and a 1970s pattern for a girls pinafore - at a cost of $1 and 20 cents.

 1970s girls dress pattern

The pattern was missing the instructions, but I made them up as I went.  The buttoned straps I sewed in place, and the back zip became buttons. (This is Miss Eight's 'just out of the pool' hair by the way).

 


 

Not bad for $1.20, don't you think! 

I had a similar dress in about 1975 - bright green with white ric-rac.  Mum made it and I thought it was 'the bees knees' at the time.  Went beautifully with my white clog sandals.  Ahh the 70s.....it's probably because I lived through them that I prefer the earlier decades now!

Deb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.