Thursday 11 July 2013

Blog Award Nomination Part 2

So you may have noticed my new look blog - I hope you like it!

Now to my questions form Deborah at Hellcat Vintage. Being nominated twice for an award in about a week is so nice!

1. Why did you decide to start blogging?
I research things all the time, and wanted somewhere to keep a record of that, and also a bit of info about me, that maybe one day my kids would read.

2. When did you first fall for vintage/rockabilly fashion?
I grew up watching old B&W movies, and have always loved the 1930s, 40s and 50s looks - especially the elegant suits for day wear. I loved Elvis movies too, and all those 50s and 60s sitcoms like Get Smart and Bewitched.  A a child of the 70s and 80s I thought they were so much cooler! 

Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon)
Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon)
3. If you could meet anyone from any time period, who would it be?
Agatha Christie - my favorite author, and she lived in my favorite time period (30s to 50s).  And there are a few questions I like to ask her....

4. If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
Phryne Fisher in Kerry Greenwood's Miss Fisher series. She was a lady detective in 1929 Melbourne (where I grew up), and defied her family by going to war, cutting her hair and not getting married. Love her!

Miss Fisher is the lady detective star of the popular Phryne Fisher murder mysteries, created by author Kerry Greenwood.
Phryne Fisher
5. What is your favorite food?
My husbands home made pizza with salmon and avocado. Yummy!

6. You win the lottery…what do you do with the money?
Pay the bills and renovate the house. Mid-century style. Put money away for the kids education and a safe car each. Then go to France in the summer and rent a chateau for a month with the family, grandparents included, with a romantic weekend in Paris for just two.  And in winter go to Palm Springs and stay in a mid-century dream house....

The Alexander home is located in prestigious Twin Palms Estates in the south end of Palm Springs.
The Alexander home in Palm Springs.
7. Do you have a guilty pleasure? Do tell….
I love a good red wine. It's often too hot here to drink it, so I make the most of winter. And reading. I have far too many books and am always giving them away.

8. If you had to wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I have a black and white stretch jersey dress with a cross over front that has great vintage style but is super comfy and easy to wash - and no ironing. I would wear it every day happily.

9. Where is your favorite place to vacation?

At home with the family. We have a pool and live near the beach. and its nice and warm.  And I get to walk the dogs each day and collect fresh eggs. Oh, and it's cheap!

10. When you were little, what did you want to be? Did you accomplish that dream?
A fashion designer - I drew dresses all day and dressed all my barbies.  Then a vet - until I visited a vet school and decided it was gross. Then an interior designer, and yes I did that. And I always wanted to be a mum - now I have five kids.

11. If you were stuck on a deserted island, what one luxury would you want to have with you?
A book. Preferably an Agatha Christie. And my weights. No, not really, just kidding. But I love this photo.
Abbye “Pudgy” Stockton, a pioneer of female bodybuilding and weight lifting in the 1940s and 1950s
Abbye “Pudgy” Stockton, mid-century body builder
Wow, great questions ladies (I may have to borrow some).

Here are the last five blogs that I nominate:

(Apologies if you have already got the award, or have over 200 followers - just be happy that I love your blog!)

Katrina at Acting my (Vint)age
Claire at My Little Life
Lavender's Green
Lil at Little Lil of London
Helen (and her daughters) at Helen and her daughters

Tomorrow the questions for everyone.

Deb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.