Thursday 31 January 2013

Summer at the Beach


Having some technical difficulties today, so instead of my prepared post, just some Summer images.

I have been walking the dogs on the beach each morning and afternoon, as I build up my strength before returning to work.  The afternoons are busy, for here anyway, but in the mornings I am the only human on the beach. Despite the grey clouds, it is very hot, and humid - perfect swimming weather if it weren't for the jelly fish, and possible sharks and crocodiles.

Our busy local beach, Lambert's Beach, Mackay
I love to remember my time in Sydney at the popular Bondi or Manly beaches, or even Melbourne's St Kilda Beach, and compare the amount of people!  Even one hundred years ago Sydney's beaches were crowded - but isn't it a lovely painting.
Manly Beach — Summer Is Here, 1913, by Ethel Carrick Fox. Manly Art Gallery, Sydney.

Here is another Sydney beach scene by Fox.
On Balmoral Beach, 1913, by Ethel Carrick Fox. source

Born in, Sussex in 1872, Ethel Carrick was the daughter of an English draper. She was trained at the Slade School of Art, London, under Henry Tonks (1862-1937) and Frederick Brown (1851-1941) between 1899-1903. Carrick first exhibited her work in London in 1903, and in 1904 commenced exhibiting in Paris, which she continued to do for many years. She married my other favourite artist  Emanuel Phillips Fox, in London in 1905. They travelled extensively, visiting Europe, Africa and Australia.

Mr Fox painted my all time favourite painting in 1909, Bathing hour (L'Heure de Bain), which is thought to depict a beach on France's Channel Coast. Luckily it's owned by the Queensland art gallery, and I am able to visit it every time I go to Brisbane (I do own a small print of it to).

E. Phillips Fox | Australia/France 1865-1915 | Bathing hour (L'Heure de Bain) c.1909 Queensland Art Gallery

So even if it's cold where you are, I hope I brought you some summer cheer!

Deb xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.