Saturday 25 May 2013

40s Design - Scalamandre's Zebra

Continuing with my zebra theme, this week a look at zebra's in design, and in particular on walls.

 The Town House Hotel in Los Angeles was built in 1929 and was designed  by Norman W. Alpaugh.  It was once among the most luxurious hotels in Southern California.  It's "Zebra Room", featuring zebra murals and zebra patterned crockery, opened 1937 or 38.
Zebra room diners 1940s
Zebra room diners
African adventurers such as Martin and Osa Johnson had helped to make safari themes popular in the 1930s.

osa johnson 1930s zebra
Osa Johnson

A couple of years later, in New York, new arrival Gino Circiello opened his restaurant, Gino's.  He was helped with his business by Franco Scalamandre, who was known to help Italian Americans get their financial footing.  Circiello chose a zebra design wallpaper for his restaurant walls,  a creation of Scalamandre's wife, Flora.  "I chose it because I love to hunt," Circiello says, "and it is something that people will remember."

It certainly is memorable!

vintage 1940s zebra wallpaper Scalamandre

via
Scalamandre has just reissued their classic Zebra wallpaper in new vibrant colours,although I think I like the black and white version best.

vintage 1940s zebra wallpaper Scalamandre
Wall paper chic
If you don't want to wall paper your home, there is always the Scalamandre Zebra Tote.
vintage 1940s zebra wallpaper Scalamandre tote
Scalamandre Zebra Tote.
Or the silk scarf.

vintage 1940s zebra wallpaper Scalamandre silk scarf

Or even home wares - Scalamandre teamed up with Lenox for their new collection, which unfortunately is available exclusively at Bloomingdale’s

vintage 1940s zebra wallpaper Scalamandre home wares

I love the dinner setting.  I could have my own zebra room.....

Scalamandre by Lenox Zebras 5-Piece Place Setting
Scalamandre by Lenox Zebras 5-Piece Place Setting

At $216.60 per five place setting, may be not any time soon. But a girl can dream.....

Deb xx

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh I love the black and white wall paper and the scarf. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.