Saturday 22 December 2012

Agatha Christie's Poirot

I am currently on a mission.  A mission to watch every Poirot episode - the ones with David Suchet as Poirot. Not only is Poirot my favourite Christie detective, Suchet is by far and way the best Poirot ever.

The shows are wonderful - clever, well acted, with beautiful set decoration, costumes and cars.  The kids love to with them with me, as they are more psychological than gruesome  and we all try and guess the murderer.  Of course I love the books too, but this way I can share, and slightly indoctrinate, with my children.

Poirot breakfasts in his apartment, with wonderful crockery

The list of all 13 series, from 1989 to 2013, can be found here. We have just watched Dumb Witness, the last episode of series 6, which I had never seen before.  It was based on a short story that Ms Christies daughter found in her mother's possessions after her death, and it features a rather cute little dog, that Hercule Poirot ends up owning, if only for a short time.

Poirot and Bob
The episode, or movie as it is feature length, also features a rather amazing speed boat, that one man is hoping to race and beat the world water speed record. The way they time this is quite interesting too.

Timing the water speed event

If you can't find DVDs of the series, most can be found on youtube (you can see Dumb Witness here).  Great holiday viewing! I have also found a fantastic blog with the entire chronology of Hercule Poirot and his assistant, Captain Hastings, which you can find here.

A young Agatha Christie

We are off to watch The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, one of Christies early novels, written in 1926 - the same year her husband asked her for a divorce and she mysteriously disappeared for eleven days.  Luckily for us she returned, and continued to write incredible novels until her death, fifty years later.

Watch some if you can,

Enjoy,

Deb xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.