Friday 6 September 2013

London Fashion and a Hemline War, 1951

Yesterday I looked at the Festival of Britain, that occurred in 1951.  What might you have been wearing to attend a reception in London at the time?  The Australian Women's Weekly of 5 September 1951 suggests the following-

London fashion for evening, 1951



London fashion for evening, 1951

The same issue of the magazine also had this little snippet about hemlines, which I think is hilarious.

hemline war 1950s


Damn those French!

1 comment:

  1. He, he, I love the last sentence from that excerpt! *^v^*
    Casual fashion kept changing over the decades but the evening dresses tend to stay very similar up till nowadays - corset tops, full long skirts, taffeta and glitter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very important to me and I read each and every one of them! Please leave your blog address so I can visit.